Wednesday, March 4, 2009

A Fabulous Week with Sally Collins

What a wonderful week at Asilomar! How can you go wrong with such a gorgeous setting, the perfect class, and of course, great friends, old and new. Of the three classes I have taken at Asilomar, this may have been the one where I have learned the most, the one that will change how I piece from here on end. I have to admit, I never thought this was my thing as I'm the if it's close, then it' good enough type of girl. Now, I've decided that I can make those points pretty perfect and that if the piece is to be 4 inches, then it will be 4 inches.

Sally was SUCH a wonderful teacher. She was there early every morning and the last to leave in the evenings. For those that were not in the class, Sally does these incredible quilts that are not minatures, but have some very small pieces that are perfectly put together. Just to give you an idea, our project in class was a 15" feathered star. Most of chose to make the simpler radiant star, which was composed of a little over 200 pieces, while the other more intricate star had over 400 pieces. Here's a sample of Sally's quilt:


I hope everyone will post their block once they are completed. Sally's website is: http://www.sallycollins.org/ She will be teaching somewhere in the San Diego area later this year, but I don't have the details. I've emailed Sally, so hopefully I'll get the info and let everyone know.

4 comments:

  1. How much fun it will be to see and hear about on-going projects. Thank you for setting this up for all of us.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, Mary. Sally was a great teacher and I learned quite a lot, even though I'd taken her class years ago. I'm delighted to participate in your blog, sharing some of your Thursday quilting experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing the blocks you have made, Mary, Betsey and Julie. They were fabulous! Sounds like a great time was had by all, sorry to have missed

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Everyone:
    Sorry I missed your sharing at quilt group. We are busy getting ready to show the house and move out more stuff. These clients really get in the way of my quilting. The block from Sally Collin's Class looks fabulous. I am looking forward to seeing your finished items.
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.